FedDev Ontario Invests in Innovative Firefighting Technology
Updated: Mar 1, 2018
$325,000-investment in Napanee-based company to help bring the world’s first fully bio-based firefighting gel into new global markets
Canadian clean tech companies are true global leaders by finding solutions to tough environmental challenges through innovation, including the development of a safe, bio-based formula to protect the environment and firefighters when combating fires.
Today, Mike Bossio, Member of Parliament for Hastings–Lennox and Addington, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for FedDev Ontario, announced an investment of $325,000 for FireRein Inc., an innovative, Canadian company, to commercialize its ground-breaking fire suppression product.
Napanee-based FireRein Inc. has created Eco-Gel™, the world’s first and only 100% bio-sourced, 100% foodgrade water additive used by firefighters to combat fires. When added to a stream of water, the non-toxic gel clings to any surface, extinguishing fires faster and with less water than traditionally required. Eco-Gel™ provides benefits to the environment, to the safety of our firefighters and to site restoration after a fire has occurred.
FedDev Ontario’s contribution, through the Investing in Business Innovation initiative, will help the company to fully commercialize its product in both domestic and international markets. This innovation has poised the Canadian company to revolutionize the fire suppression industry by protecting lives, property, and the environment.
“Our government’s investments in clean technology reflect our commitment to protecting the planet, while creating opportunities for early-stage businesses to scale-up. In addition, they emphasize a clear and strategic direction for economic development through innovation. Innovations in clean technology will lead to products and services that have a strong impact on all sectors of the economy, the environment, and Canadians.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic
Development and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development
Agency for Southern Ontario
“I am proud to see businesses based in rural communities, like FireRein, demonstrate leadership in using innovation to tackle critical environmental issues. Today’s announcement is great news for our community, as it is helping a local company to scale-up and boost innovation in clean technology while promoting safer and more effective firefighting technologies.”
- Mike Bossio, Member of Parliament for Hastings—Lennox and Addington
“The investment from FedDev Ontario allows us to significantly enhance our scale-up and business development activities. This support will accelerate the widespread adoption of Eco-Gel™ ultimately enabling firefighters to knock-down fires faster and with less water while safeguarding human health and the environment.”
- Rui Resendes, President and CEO, FireRein Inc.
• FireRein Inc., based in Napanee, Ontario, incorporated in 2014, has developed Eco-Gel™, which is made entirely from materials found in common foods, contains no environmentally toxic substances.
• FedDev Ontario’s repayable contribution will leverage up to $650,000 from accredited members of the Southeastern Ontario Angel Network (SOAN), aligning with the Network’s commitment to supporting clean technologies.
• FedDev Ontario’s investments of $208.7 million in 62 clean tech projects are anticipated to leverage an estimated $546.7 million to support businesses, organizations and communities.
- 30 -
Toll Free: 1-866-593-5505